For Sale: 1961 AMC Rambler American Convertible, manual shift - $8,900 - Farmington Hills, MI - Not Mine

For Sale: 1961 AMC Rambler American Convertible, manual shift - $8,900 - Farmington Hills, MI

1961 Amc Rambler American convertible - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Runs and drives excellent on the highway California car drive anywhere no issues. Gas gauge works three on the tree top works new brakes new clutch carburetor recently rebuilt.
Copy and paste in your email: 53561737147e376c89500224eafc98c5@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1961 AMC Rambler American Convertible.

'61 Amc Rambler American conv MI a.jpg

'61 Amc Rambler American conv MI b.jpg

'61 Amc Rambler American conv MI c.jpg

'61 Amc Rambler American conv MI d.jpg

'61 Amc Rambler American conv MI e.jpg

'61 Amc Rambler American conv MI f.jpg

• Like 2

This one is equipped with the rare dual hood spears non factory option that does absolutely nothing for the otherwise nice lines of the car.  Sometimes you just have to ask “why” when you see this stuff.

• Like 2

Fair starting price.  Items noted could be used to negotiate a more reasonable price because with the issues noted the price might be a bit high. That said if the ad is honest otherwise you could just drive it.  And with the typical Rambler gas milage and I am sure low insurance cost I think it would be a fun car for someone who just wants to go to the cars and coffee or other fun things.

2 hours ago, George Albright said:

Needs a new front bumper 

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

This one is equipped with the rare dual hood spears non factory option that does absolutely nothing for the otherwise nice lines of the car.  Sometimes you just have to ask “why” when you see this stuff.

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Fair starting price.  Items noted could be used to negotiate a more reasonable price because with the issues noted the price might be a bit high. That said if the ad is honest otherwise you could just drive it.  And with the typical Rambler gas milage and I am sure low insurance cost I think it would be a fun car for someone who just wants to go to the cars and coffee or other fun things.

One caution for those not familiar with Rambler American of this era ---

The front suspension/steering utilizes a Trunnion design. The question is not "IF", but "WHEN" the trunion will fail,

at which point the wheel and hub will depart from the car, and will typically fold underneath and "Ramble" its way separate from the direction you would safely have chosen.

Not unique to Rambler, this also happened to me in a 1958 Triumph TR-3A one night in Elizabeth, NJ.

And those add-on hood spears take away from a relatively clean design

Cute, but ...

Before any serious  driving, please have it thoroughly inspected by a (preferably elderly) well experienced technician (old school mechanic)

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know the trunnion issue intimately as a 1961 Ambassador I had had one break while making a left turn far from home. A long story involving young folks, cars, trailers. And a Father in Law who helped make a new stainless steel suspension for it.  Good that you brought this up Marty as availability of those parts now might be problematic.